Monday, January 25, 2010

still here.

I kind of took a hiatus from this thing over the holidays. That's not to say that I didn't have tons of free time to update it, I just preferred to spend my time on the couch watching re-runs of CSI. I calculated that I watched something like 70 hours of it over holiday break. Don't judge me.

Anyway, now that I'm back in school, I have plenty of time to not-do-homework. I spent all last week looking at useless things online, some of which were actually pretty awesome. See:

OOOMS dutch design
Okay, this is a seriously amazing website. OOOMS is a design studio in the Netherlands that makes plain crazy weird/cool stuff.
Example 1: "Commissioned by the Dutch souvenir project and initiated by the European Ceramic Work Centre, the Milkmaid by Studio OOOMS is not your typical keepsake. Inspired by Johannes Vermeer’s innocent painting “Het Melkmeisje”, this Delftblue ceramic dildo will certainly be a talking point if you leave it out on your mantelpiece!" Seriously?
Example 2: This thing is called a "City Hideout." Basically, it's a fold-out metal box that you climb into and watch people from. And it looks like one of those boxes you see on street corners, so no one will even think it's weird (until they know you're in it). Maybe it's just because this thing is so ridiculous, but I won't lie, I want one. (FYI, it's the box on the far left in the picture.)
They also have other things like goldplated staples and a cabinet where it's impossible to close all the drawers at once (if you happen to like frustrating furniture).

Letterheady - Interesting Letterhead Designs
This is really pretty cool. Someone apparently took the time to scan tons of letterhead papers, from people like Elvis, Einstein, and Hitler (who is apparently picky about stationary since they have another for him). I don't know if anyone else is weird/bored enough to actually be interested in this besides me though...

So, I can't tell if this is just a proposed idea, or if this product actually exists. Slim Chips are zero calorie chips made of edible paper and organic flavors. Apparently, Juliusson's motto is "Don't get fat just eat nothing." I don't know how blueberry or peppermint flavored paper sounds, but maybe I could get down with some sweet potato paper. I also really appreciate anything that would market itself with a picture of somekind of hipster-wigger and a crazed Icelander.



So I really don't know much about this movie but apparently it debuted at Sundance this past Sunday. It's supposed to be about an eccentric French shopkeeper turned documentarian who attempted to locate and befriend Banksy, only to have the artist turn the camera back on him. I don't know when/if it'll be coming to Houston ever, but I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment